Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Teriyaki Boyz

As you may or may not know, I'm a big fan of Japanese stuff and have lately been listening to a ton of music from over there. It's been mostly indie electronic-ish(VERY loose term)stuff like YMCK, Macdonald Duck Eclair, Plus-Tech Squeezebox etc etc but yesterday I read in some random blog about a new Japanese 'hip-hop super group' named Teriyaki Boyz. I'm not a big fan of the almost always silly rap from Japan but I gave it a shot anyway.



So I downloaded the CD from SoulSeek(theres no way I'm importing some CD before I hear it first... and slsk is by far the best P2P program for Japanese music) and listen to track one. The beat was pretty good and then I hear a familiar voice... it was Adrock from the Beastie Boys. I then look at the credits for the cd and see more familiar names... Pharrell, Cut Chemist, DJ Shadow, Just Blaze, Daft Punk and get this... a DJ Michael '5000' Watts chopped and screwed remix. WTF?! Despite all these great people, the CD is still pretty silly but I have to admit... I love this freakin' CD. It's just fun. No, I don't know what they're saying but who cares I like it anyway. So I took it one step further and downloaded a video for their first single, "Heartbreaker". At first I wasn't buying it but after watching it a few times(yeah I'm a creep) I can't get the damn song out of my head... it's so freaking catchy. Below are some screenshots of the video. I'll also provide a Putfile link if you want to watch it as well. **PLEASE DO NOT HOTLINK THE VIDEO OR PUTFILE WILL REMOVE THE VIDEO AND EVERYONE LOSES... THERE IS NO WAY TO NOT GET CAUGHT... if there was I'd tell you**


Link to Video


So if you watched the video you probably noticed their clothing. I for one think it's some of the coolest stuff ever but apparently it's nothing new, atleast in Japan. The clothing company is named 'A Bathing Ape' and the designer is the actually in the group. As soon as I saw those shark zip up hoodies at the very end of the video I had to find out where to get one. Well, the damn things are expensive as f*** so that's not happening... or is it? I took a look on ebay and there seems to be Hong Kong fakes. Yes I am cheap, but no one will know except you guys ;). Well if anyone knows where to get more fake stuff or the real stuff for cheap, do share. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the band as well. I'm already prepared for some serious hating... but try to spare me and the rest of the readers and try to say something atleast worth reading.

Until next time... peaceeeeeeee

7 comments:

Tweaq said...

those hoodies are badass, but which ones are the fakes? the $700 ones??!? those are the only ones i saw from hong kong

Tweaq said...

thats crazy. i saw one of the "unreleased" black shark hoodies for $55. i like the chompers better, but not for ~$700

Karl said...

the chomper is my fav... shark #2. The hoodies $200 and under are most likely the fake ones. Thats crazy that fake brand names cost more then what I normally wear.

Anonymous said...

i could only see the first like 8 seconds of the video, but just by that much i can tell you that an artist named verbal from the duo (used to be trio) m-flo is in it. and thats a really good thing. im amazed at this new find. ive been out of the foreign hip-hop scene for a while, but i loved m-flo. and if the designer of bape, nigo, is actually in the group, wow. i need to do a little researching on this group. a bathing ape has clothing stores in certain areas like new york city's soho called "a busy workshop". its basically urban hip-hop scene type clothing. also, pharrell works with nigo to make his own brand of clothing and shoes called "billionaire boys club" which you can find the members of n.e.r.d rockin. ah theres so much more to say but ill stop. great find! (amazing producers!)

Anonymous said...

Pharrel rocks a lot of bathing ape, as well as jermaine dupri in that I Think They Like Me (remix) video, as well as Lil' Wayne. In cali this brand has been known of for a while and a lot of Blacks wear their flashy shoes. Some stuff looks pretty cool, but for the most part i think the stuff is some overpriced shit that they sell as "limited editions" to lure people in. A lot of stuff that bathing ape sells is crap. Nigo helped design those dumb Ice Cream shoes.

Anonymous said...

Japs were put on Earth to entertain the Americans.

Anonymous said...

DONT BUY FAKES you tit. You'll be 10x more happier with an authentic bape piece